Thursday, December 14, 2023

Palia Launches on Switch, Free Shit

Today was Palia's third or fourth launch day.  First there was the closed beta, then the open beta, then launched on the Epic Games store, and now on the Nintendo Switch.  In my opinion, this is the biggest launch since open beta, because today we welcomed in the Animal Crossing crowd.  Animal Crossing has a huge following on the Nintendo Switch.  Animal Crossing is no longer getting free updates either, so that crowd's been looking for a new game to obsess over.  I think this will be a good opportunity for Palia, if they don't get over-compared to Gameloft's Disney Dreamlight Valley.  Gameloft and Disney have a lot more money to throw around, and they charge a hefty fee for their game, so I hope people will enjoy how largely free Palia is in comparison.

Since Nintendo are pretty big britches themselves, Palia celebrated the launch with free items and outfits, as well as a Twitch streaming campaign with free items too.  There's a free frog bucket for everyone who logs in on Switch or PC, a free outfit for anyone who logs in on the Nintendo Switch, and free furniture pieces for people who watch Twitch streams of Palia for a few hours.  There's a lot.

To celebrate and welcome all the new players, I hid my antisocial ass on my home lot, fishing and gardening all day.  Yep, didn't speak to a soul in game.  Even when I walked past a magic tree.  Not a peep, just walked on by.  I'm not a guild leader, or a community volunteer, answering newbie questions is not my job.  I have PTSD from answering newbie questions.  If I wanna hide on my home lot and fish all day, I'm well within my rights to do so.

I tried to be a good sport though, I contributed a little to chat in Palia Twitch streams, and kept my guildies up to date on server issues and whatnot.  And of course, I logged in on my Switch for the free outfit, and sat in on Twitch streams for my free items.  All have arrived eventually.  The Twitch rewards were a few hours late, but the login servers were having issues this morning, and I know they can only handle one problem at a time.

I suppose I should give a review of the 5 minutes I spent on my Switch.  The graphics looked shitty, but everything was functional.  I'll prolly only use my Switch when I go on trips or need to stay in bed.  The Nintendo Switch wasn't really made for MMOs, but it'll do in a pinch.  I'll at least still be able to fish and garden while on vacation or sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment