Friday, December 22, 2023

3 Yuri Visual Novel Studios, 1 Comparison Review

On Steam, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of visual novels.  Most of them are heterosexual male fantasies.  Some of them are heterosexual female fantasies.  Even fewer are LGBTQ+.  My favorites to read are girls kissing girls.  I've started to get back into boys kissing boys too, but we're talking lesbians in this blog entry.  I've been searching extensively for more lesbian and sapphic romance visual novels.  Many VN studios do the occasional one off girls love story.  You have to dig to find it.  But three studios have stood out to me for producing multiple lesbian and sapphic romance visual novels.  I've sampled all three's works, and here's what I have to say on each of them.

Dharker Studio is a long standing VN studio that focuses on heterosexual male fantasies, but has 27 LGBTQ+ tagged games in their library.  Their oldest VNs go back to 2015, and one of their most famous series, is a lesbian VN series starting with Negligee.  So I bought Negligee and started reading it.  The artwork was very nice, but I hated the writing.  It wasn't funny, it wasn't sexy, it was just dry.  So dry, I got bored before finishing my first playthrough, and I returned it.  After an hour and a half of reading, I wasn't invested in the characters at all.  It felt like they had no emotion, and were just sexy robots with nice art, trying to imitate human life.  I would have PREFERRED if they were robots trying to imitate human life.  So yeah, gonna pass on Dharker Studios from now on.

Ebi-Hime is another prolific VN studio.  Their oldest works go back to 2015 as well.  I've tried to get into their work a few times, so I have 3 of their lesbian themed VNs, Strawberry Vinegar, the Sad Story of Emmeline Burns, and Blackberry Honey.  Of all three, I haven't been able to finish a single one.  Two of them are about children, and I don't enjoy thinking about children in romantic settings.  And none of the characters are particularly likeable to me.  Their characters are kinda bratty and weird, the kind of people I try to stay away from.  So, I think I should prolly stop buying VNs from Ebi-Hime.

Winged Cloud is a VN studio I've been following for years.  I did a very general review of them last year, and I'm going to talk about them again.  They've been producing quality VNs since 2014, and I own almost all that they've made!  I've 100% half of their library, and buy up every new release, whether I have time to read it or not.  They have two very talented character artists, and some practiced writers too!  They tend to bounce back and forth between heterosexual male fantasy and lesbian fantasy, and I'm on board for all of them.  They have exciting premises, like being trapped in an MMO, or in outer space, or fighting sexy demons.  The characters are likeable!  They get emotionally attached to each other through shared experiences!

So yeah, I wrote this largely to remind myself to stop buying visual novels from Dharker Studios and Ebi-Hime and read the Winged Cloud VNs I've already paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment