Friday, October 29, 2021

Puni Puni Poemy

Puni Puni Poemy is a parody anime that came out in Japan in 2001 and the USA in 2004.  I got my copy on DVD from a local shop back in college.  At only 1 hour long, it's lewd, it's rude, and it's one of my favorites when I'm hyper.  It references and mocks all sorts of anime, from magical girl to mecha, to hentai.  I searched for a source manga, and never found one, so my guess is there is no manga related to it, however, she might be related to Excel Saga, another very funny anime done by the same people.

In this short anime, a schoolgirl named Poemy is put in a catastrophic situation by alien invaders and uses a magic dead fish to become the scantily clad hero, Puni Puni Poemy, all while trying to become a successful voice actress.  Her doting best friend, Futaba, also has super powers, but her older sisters stop her from using them until the finale.  Poemy is also infatuated with classmate Kei, who never sends her a message or call, but he turns out to have a ridiculous backstory and hidden intentions that come out in the second episode.

This show is pretty bad, and I love it for it.  It's probably a good thing that this hasn't been picked up by any of the streaming services.  I would never share this show with polite company.  It's really only funny if you watched anime during the timeframe that it was making fun of.  It's one of those "You had to be there" things.

No comments:

Post a Comment